Customers are the lifeline of your business. By entering detailed information in Quickbooks about the people and companies to whom you serve, you can personalize their bills, send invoices easily, and quickly view the status of their accounts. You can add new customers at any time.
To add a customer, follow these steps:
- Click the Customer Center (see image of pop-up window above) icon at the top of the Quickbooks Home page.
- Click New Customer & Job and then click New Customer.
- On the Address Info tab, enter all the data that you have about the customer, including their name, Bill to and Ship to addresses, and additional contact information.
- Complete the Additional Info and Payment info tabs, as appropriate.
- If you want to add additional fields to the form, click Define Fields to customize the form.
- Click OK or click Next if you want to enter another customer.
- Typing in customer data for hundreds of customers can be a tedious task. If you use Microsoft Outlook, you can import your existing customer information into Quickbooks instead of entering it manually. Refer to the Quickbooks in-product Help for instructions on how to prepare your customer data file for importing into Quickbooks.
- You can also add customers as you perform routine transactions. For example, if you enter the name of a new customer when filling out an invoice, Quickbooks will prompt you to enter information about this customer. You can choose from two (2) quick setup options, as follows:
- Quick Add – Adds just the name to the list. You must add the details later.
- Set Up – Enables you to enter additional information (such as a phone number, fax number, and alternate contact) to the list you choose.
Customers – are the people or businesses to whom you sell your products or services – that is, the people who pay you for what you do. Some businesses might refer to a customer as a client or member.
Did You Know?
- Adding Jobs – if you are performing more than one job for a customer, you can track the jobs individually by adding new jobs under the customer’s name in the Customers & Jobs list. That way, you can create reports that show the income and expenses for each job. To add a job, click New Customer & Job and then click Add Job.
- Adding Multiple Customers at once – If you need to add several customers to your Quickbooks company file, consider using the Add/edit multiple list entries feature.
Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.