Quickbooks can be modified in many ways to suit the needs of your business and your personal style of working. From the Preferences window, you can define preferences in over a dozen different categories.
For example, you can configure general preferences such as whether or not Quickbooks prompts you before editing or deleting a transaction, or which date Quickbooks uses for new transactions. Or, you can configure accounting-specific preferences such as how Quickbooks displays accounts and subaccounts.
To view and set preference options, follow the steps below:
- Choose the Edit menu and choose Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, change any of the general Quickbooks preferences. These preferences determine how Quickbooks behaves.
- To display the preferences for another area of Quickbooks, select the appropriate category in the list on the left. For example, to set preferences for reporting functions, select Reports& amp; Graphs.
- On the My Preferences tab for the particular feature area, enter the changes and settings you want. These settings affect only your Quickbooks sessions, not those of other users.
- Do one of the following:
- Click OK to close the Preferences window and save your changes, or
- Click another feature area in the scroll box to enter other preferences. Click Yes when prompted to save your changes.
- Click OK.
Did You Know?
- Company Preferences – are global preferences that affect all users of the company file. Only the Quickbooks Administrator can set up or modify company preferences.
- My Preferences – are personal preferences that allow you to customize your workflow, such as using the Enter key instead of the Tab key to move between fields.