When your customers don’t pay you in full at the time you provide the product or service, you should keep track of the amount owed. You can use invoices to keep track of amounts owed from your customers (i.e., your “accounts receivable”).
Invoices list all the details about the sale, including the services you’re providing or the products you’re selling. Invoices also show the quantity and price (or rate) of each item, and they allow you to make automatic adjustments to your prices.
To create an invoice, follow these steps:
- Choose the Customers menu and choose Create Invoices.
- In the Customer:Job drop-down list, enter a name or select the name of the customer or job.
- Optional: Click the Template drop-down arrow and then select the invoice template you want to use.
- Click the Terms drop-down arrow and then select the sales terms that apply to this customer.
- In the lower part of the form, enter each of the items (including the proper quantity) that the customer has purchased.
- Click Print on the toolbar to print the invoice now. Optionally, you can select the To be printed checkbox to print the form later or the To be e-mailed checkbox to e-mail the form later.
- Save the invoice.
Key Term (Invoice) – An invoice is the form you use to charge customers for the products and services they purchase from you.
Tip – You can customize your invoices for your business by clicking Customize to open the new forms customization tool. This feature allows you to give your invoices a professional look that is consistent with your other forms and documents.